Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2021

TRAIN TIME: My New Train Layout - Pt1

Wellll, for the last 6 years I wanted a train layout which could accommodate larger engines and rolling stock than my Edge of Town micro-layout. My older Marxville and Plateau (MaP) layout was technically very nice and had great scenery but it was made with Marx O-34 track and I couldn't run some of the stuff I wanted to, so this layout will have O-42 diameter track.

The older Marxville and Plateau was a ca 9' x 14' 'U'-shaped layout but after dismantling it in 2016 I ended up with an 'L'-shaped board ca9'x8'. It's this cut-down board that's seen a lot of use for temporary train layouts and Little Green Army men and toy set-ups over the past five years, but after I start building the new layout I'll have to figure out a different way to play! :-)

Anywho, after removing the last piece of terrain leftover from the MaP, I quickly placed an oval of Menard's O-42 tubular track down. This track is what's called 'Standard O' and has a larger profile than the O-27 track I've been using all these years (I hesitated to use Lionel's FastTrack because of all the complaints out there about conductivity issues). I also find it odd and a bit funny that a lot of railroaders out there cover their FastTrack with ballast, even though it's made to look like there's already ballast.

Enjoy! Opa Fritz

Removing the last remnant of my old Marxville and Plateau layout. I'll keep this terrain piece for future use.



I have several new buildings from Menard's and right now it looks like this will be a more urban setting than the Edge of Town micro-layout


Marx, Menard's, and Lledo buildings populate the board today - tomorrow that will likely change!



a quick test run




No comments:

Post a Comment