Pages

Friday, January 20, 2017

PUSHING TIN: Japan Tin-lItho Air Force One - Unk Mfr

Derived from the Boeing 707 which was produced from 1954 - 1965, the C-137 Stratoliner was made for VIP transport. The Air Force bought two VC-137C variants specifically designed and specially configured for use as presidential transport with call signs SAM26000 and SAM27000. SAM26000 entered service in 1962 during JFK's administration and was kept in service until 1972 after which it was retained as a back-up.

Courtesy Wikipedia

I meant to post this earlier but you know, with today being the inauguration of a new President it's probably more appropriate to do it today. I do not know who made this tin-litho version of SAM26000 because there are no maker's marks anywhere on it that I can discern but it is a beautifully rendered piece. Measuring 19" (48.26cm) L x 17 1/4" (43.81cm) wingspan x 7 1/4" (18.41cm) H it takes two 'D' cell batteries to operate its features which include engine roar, blinking lights, operating landing gear and runway taxiing! Impressive. Enjoy! Opa Fritz and Oma Bettina

If anyone out there knows for sure who made this please let us know - Many Thanx!

This extract from the 1969 Sears Christmas Catalog (Wishbook) dates the plane to at least that year. I could find no earlier reference to it. The ad  took up a good amount of space on the page so I believe that's when the toy plane debuted
























Here we have SAM26000 posed alongside TN of Japan's version of Air Force One which is about half the size






3 comments:

  1. Hey Mr. Berg, I don't know how I ended up here. However, I do remember getting one of these Air Force One Planes for Christmas in 1969. I have been trying to find one on eBay and found one but lost the bid which went to almost $600.00. Are you interested in selling the one in your video? If so, I would be interested.
    Thanks,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $600??!! Holy C _ _ p! OUCH! Well Steve, thanx for your interest but no I really had no intentions of selling this puppy off any time soon. I have been trying to sell a bunch of my toys but the tin litho aircraft are keepers. To that end I've been watching sales of a few I have in my sights like tin C-130s, B-36's and a couple more but people are asking outrageously high prices. I'd have to sell the house just to pay for them - but then I wouldn't have a place to put them! LOL

      Delete
  2. Hi! Are you by any chance ready to sell this toy plane?

    ReplyDelete