Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Kellogg's UK Paper Village - Village Church Built Up

The other night while the wife was watching the Bee Gees concert on PBS I decided to go ahead and start building up the Kellogg's UK Paper Village. Along the way I discovered a couple of interesting things. First, I had the year of manufacture all wrong. I had stated earlier that it was 1948. This was based on the eBay sellers information, but lo and behold, tucked away amongst all that writing on the sheets was the following:


The actual date was only 1989!! Now I don't feel so bad about putting these together. In any case, the pieces were beginning to separate from the surround anyway. The next thing I noticed was this:


Kellogg's offered a series of delivery trucks (lorry's) made by Matchbox over the years and lettered for various Kellogg's cereals. I have one set that was released here in the States but what I don't know is which vehicles were released in the UK during 1989. Looks like I'll have to get on eBay and do a little 'research'.

The models were built straight-forward. No glue except for one part which I'll explain in another post, and no bracing. They utilize a simple tab-&-slot construction method that, overall, didn't give me much grief. I found it easier to ever-so-slightly enlarge the holes using an X-Acto knife. NOW, all this being said, I do in fact plan to add bracing to the structures later, but I want you to see how they look as designed and built right out of the package. So let's get started with the Church. The Church consists of four main parts: tower/steeple, nave, choir, and porch. It measures 7 5/8" (19.4cm) L x 7" (17.9cm) H x 4" (10.2cm) W (from wall to outside of porch floor). It appears to be at least 1/50 scale and perhaps even 1/64 scale. Not having figures small enough to make comparisons I can't really say right now. Bettina & Fritz Berg :) Enjoy :)