Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2016

Auburn No. 650 'Rubber' Tank

I don't know why I've never posted the toys that got me in this collecting mess to begin with. Back in '91 I switched from HO scale model railroading to 3-rail O-gauge trains. Then I got involved with the local toy train club and built a portable train layout to take to meets and was having enough fun with that stuff. Then I decided to convert the layout into an Army theme and started searching for vintage 'Little Green Army Men' toys to flesh out the layout. All of this was around the 1992-95-ish time frame. The Army toys really appealed to me cuz many of them were the same kind I had as a kid. I was hooked. and the toy collecting started. In 2010 this blog was started yet, during all this time of posting toys I just never got around to photographing those Little Green Army Men and their gear that got me started. I came close during the Memorial Day weekend when many of these showed up on my 'Jeep' layout as part of the Memorial Day parade. Well, now that the toys are out and accessible, might as well take pics.

Some of the toys I remember as a kid were the Auburn Rubber Co., tanks, Jeeps, trucks and soldiers. A lot of the toys I remember weren't necessarily mine but were toys my friends had and we would combine armies and play in our rooms or in the backyard. And then there were the toy catalogs over which were spent countless hours wearing out the pages and dreaming of Armies and diorams on a grand scale. I'm sure a lot of what showed up in the catalogs were ingrained into my memory. I do believe though that this type of Auburn tank was actually a part of my motor pool. It's made of a pliable vinyl which feels like rubber but isn't. By the late '50s when this toy was made Auburn had already stopped using real rubber in their toys and had transitioned to the softer plastics. The No. 650 tanks came in this olive green version and an olive drab/brownish color and measured 5 1/4" (13.33cm) overall, the body measures 4 1/2" (11.43cm) L x 2 1/2" (6.35cm) W x 2 1/8" (5.39cm) H. Enjoy!  Opa Fritz and Oma Bettina




















Marx No. 41 and Auburn No. 650 tank comparisons





No comments:

Post a Comment