Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2021

A GIANT of the Toy Industry - My Favorite Toys as a Kid (Kid = 1950's to present)

Bet you thought it was Marx right? Not this time :-) Over the past several years I have been buying - and occassionally photographing - toys made by Giant Plastics Corp of Hong Kong as well as clones made by YF, Lucky Clover, and unbranded offerings - all of them most likely using the original Giant tooling. Helen of Toy was also a big player in the HO scale market and some of their offerings were all new tooling and differed from Giant's designs. Marx did have an excellent line of miniature playsets as well, however, their figures were 30mm which is larger than HO scale. Toy collector's tend to not know the difference or simply choose to ignore the size differences. HO scale is 1/87 and is the most popular of the scales for train layouts world-wide. Train people know that because by nature they are rivet-counting stickler's for detail. Toy collector's don't seem to get it because - toys! - if it's smaller than 2", to them it's HO scale. Hey, got news for you: anything larger than 1/87 is NOT HO scale, it's something else!

Okay, time to climb down off the soap box! LOL 

Giant was a favorite of mine as a kid. The sets were über cheap and the figures were in recognizable poses as I already had the larger Marx or Monogram versions that were used by Giant to pantograph down to HO scale. This has all has led me to acquire some other small (HO scale-ish) toys from brands like Airfix, Marx, Kleeware, and whatever else in that size range as a way to expand the overall small scale battlescape. 

After concentrating on my Ancient and Roman figures, of late I've been working on American Civil War (ACW), modern military, and space. Enjoy! Opa Fritz

Space

GIANT'S range of space figures included astronauts and aliens, and a space ship. I haven't yet photographed the aliens and I do not have their spaceship


Modern Military


Some of GIANT'S modern military stuff. I'm not sure about that bunker though - it may be another company. GIANT also made a series of German's of which I have a few but haven't photographed yet




GIANT landing craft




Here's a whole series of Kleeware army trucks. They're a tad small for HO scale and GIANT figures but they'll do in a pinch for playing Little Green Army men on a small scale



American Civil War

The American Civil War figures were really at the top of my list (along with Vkings)

The wagon is not marked GIANT and is probably Lido which made a series of Old West wagons in HO scale

I have more, but these were the only ones I've photographed to-date. I got this lot from fleaBay already painted. I'll leave them alone 



Vikings

Also up there with ACW as one of my favorites were the Vikings



Ancients/Romans

My third very best favorite of the GIANT line.

It can be argued whether or not these were Romans, Greeks, Macedonians, whatever. In any case I always played with them as 'Romans' as a kid.





Mongols

Below: YF No. 810 Mongolians and Castle Playset

YF was one of the companies that marketed GIANT clones. I have no idea how they fit in to the history or timeline, but believe they were a post-GIANT company using the old GIANT tooling. I haven't taken any pics of my actual GIANT branded Mongols yet. 


American Old West

Sorry, this is kind of a lame pic but shows how these figures can accumulate. On the left of the box is American Old West and in the middle-to-right is ACW



Lucky Clover Toys Set No. 6648H Fort Frontier Assault. Like 'YF', Lucky Clover offered up GIANT clones, again, probably made from the original tooling


Unbranded GIANT clones



American Revolutionary War (Rev war)

Sorry - no got :-)

I have literally just a handful of GIANT Rev War figures which haven't yet been photographed. 
The Rev War era, while interesting, is not something that appealed much for me toy-wise and over the years I have sold what little Rev War toys I had.









6 comments:

  1. You missed out mentioning that in the UK, OO rather than HO is the scale of trains, 1/76 vs 1/87. That's why the Airfix figures tend to be bulkier than the other brands in HO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I subscribe to a bunch of Y'allTube train layout channels out of the UK. Many are that mix of OO/HO and they do go well together. What gets me is when people refer to something that's w-a-y too big to be either HO or 1/76-ish and pawn it off as HO.

      Delete
  2. Fab post ED, what a gorgeous series of toys and what a great childhood you had getting all those fabulous sets and series. I love the Viking ships, they are class. In fact I love all these toys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Thanx Woodsy! Sure wish they were as cheap now as they were when I was a kid! bur alas, times they have changed!

      Delete
    2. bur alas??? World's worst typist strikes again!

      "BUT alas" :-)

      Delete
  3. I recall the Mongolians coming with a Chinese cannon, in metallic bronze plastic. The cannon had a spring inside so you could pull back a pin at the back and shoot cannon balls. I saw Marco the Magnificent at the theater and so these figures had context. The figures came in red and yellow armies. Small adhesive paper caps for single shot cap guns could be stuck to the floor and detonated with the stroke of a straight pin to simulate "mines" to break up the charge of the Mongol horde.

    ReplyDelete