Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

1995 See's Candies Store Chocolate Box

Didja ever pass up buying something then later regretted your move? Today is a story of a lost 'treasure', a little perseverance, and a lot of luck! Back in 1995 I was converting from HO scale model railroading to 3-rail O-gauge tinplate. It was during this time that I had noticed this wonderful little box in the See's Candies store at the mall we used to frequent. The box, full of delicious chocolates, was designed to look like a See's Candies store and was just the right size for a tinplate layout.  I kept telling myself that I would buy it during the 'next' visit. Always the 'next' visit. There were many 'next' visits, but not once did the little box come home with me. And then, during one of those 'next' visits, the box was gone. This particular little marketing gimmick had run its course and was no longer available. Why I had such a buyer's block I can't answer and regretted for years my foolishness.
I thought often about the box never came home with me and even inquired about it in a couple of the Yahoo discussion groups I belonged to but no one seemed to remember it and certainly nobody had one to sell. Then came eBay and I thought, "Now's my chance." But it wasn't to be. There for quite a few years I would search for it regularly with no luck but ultimately just gave up hope of ever finding it. Then, about a month ago on a pure whim I thought I would type in "See's Candies" in the eBay search box and lo-and-behold what should appear? You got it - the elusive little chocolate box from so many years prior. I put in my bid and won it!! It arrived just before Christmas and was for me among the nicest Christmas presents last year.
The box itself is in two pieces: the walls and roof form the cover, while the base is actually the box which holds the confections. It's made of a heavy cardboard with a glossy paper applied on which is printed the See's Candies store graphics. It measures 5 1/2" (14cm) L x 4 1/2" (11.4cm) W x 4 1/2" (11.4cm) H. Enjoy!