Pages

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Lionel Repo Aliens

I've said several times over the past year or so that it was high time to start featuring some spacemen to go with all these spaceships I've been posting. Well, let's get started.

Sometime in the early '90s I believe, Lionel had started to put out some really cool space-themed train sets. Some of the sets looked more straight-forward military while others, like their Area 51 set, were pure fantasy and a couple of the sets had some of these Little Green Men. For decades, aliens were referred to as 'Little Green Men' and Martians were portrayed as green. The best example was the 'Mars Attacks' set of Topps bubble gum cards of the 1950s. I had a bunch of those gruesome cards but never did get a whole set, but their influence remained with me like forever - I mean, I did not want to ever meet an alien without a weapon handy!  When the 1997 movie of the same name came out the film maker's captured that '50s era green alien terror perfectly - although the movie itself was goofy as all heck! So, as I started collecting space ships and space related toys it was only natural to latch on to a set of these repos. They are a nice green translucent plastic and came as a set of six figures in four poses measuring 2 3/8" (6cm) H. 

Speaking of aliens: Back in the '90s, we went back to Germany to visit family and while at the airport the man at the ticket counter asked Bettina for her alien card. He then looked straight at the kids and said, "You didn't know your mother was an alien did you?" The look on their faces was priceless and we had great laugh. We still remember that to this day. 

Enjoy!


Alien, hand raised





















Alien hands at side





















Alien ray gun pointing forward



















Alien ray gun raised
























4 comments:

  1. YES!

    I am glad to be back on a website that has "little green men" as a tag.

    I'll be searching for trains, but happy to visit someone who remembers how to have fun. Always a pleasure, Ice!

    Thanks,
    EeeGee

    ReplyDelete
  2. EeeGee, long time no hear from! I must admit trains have of late taken a back seat as the layout got buried under a Smaug's Hoard of toys, but I have been working diligently to clear the space and get back to runnin' Marx. As for 'little green men' it just seems that life is just a little emptier without little green aliens or little green army men :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hallo Fritz! I Love It Very Good and The Alien Story my Favorit <3 :) (Y) ;)

    ReplyDelete