Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2020

TRAIN TIME: Edge of Town Layout Progress Is S-L-O-W But Steady: Scenery, Track, Corner Bar, Milwaukee Road Hiawatha's and Memorial Day - Pt 15

My last installment of TRAIN TIME was just over a month ago and while progress on the layout has been steady, it's also slowed down some. Enjoy! Opa Fritz

I got a Woodland Scenics Just Plug Light Hub and Power Supply and now the cabin has a porch light


Also, added some new Woodland Scenics figures



Sunflowers were planted near the cabin




While other parts of the layout saw some color added to the fields


Th tree by the lake now has a tire swing


I installed a Marx uncoupler track by the freight depot. This uncoupler track was designed for Marx's tilt-auto couplers (also referred to as scissors couplers). 


This film was added to the insides of mthe windows...


...and I bought this Miller Engineering sign for the window. A battery holder with on/off switch is included so that it's a self-contained unit 

The Corner Men's Store is no more. It is now a Corner Bar and still a work in progress.
I planned on more signs for the building so built a floor (to the left is the styrene floor and to the right is the cardboard template). The floor is necessary so that I can lay the various battery holders on it and move the store when needed.


The sign installed. In this picture it is turned off.


The sign is really bright and overpowers the camera but looks awesome when all the lights are turned off.


Okay, I changed my mind and replaced the Miller beer sign with a Pabst Blue Ribbon beer sign. I'll use the Miller sign elsewhere


Also bought this custom made sign from Mike Cedro (eBay seller: mcedro) who specializes in super detail kits for Plasticville. I got it several weeks ago but still need to hook it up.


Milwaukee Road Hiawatha's were the order of the day and I 've been running as many as I can. Here's a Pre-War American Flyer Hiawatha freight set








I have two Marxawatha engine's and tender's and four cars
These are Pre-war engines customized with Hiawatha Faux Wraps. I bought them a long time ago on fleaBay and although they run well, they simply don't like that switch on the layout.
Something to note here: Marx didn't make any Hiawatha's - in fact as far as I'm aware they made no Milwaukee Road stuff except for one lone C.M.St.P & P. boxcar - that's it. So any time you see a Marxawatha, it's a custom made unit by somebody.













I ran this second lash-up on the EoT and it just would not cooperate, then...


...I ran it on the New Layout and it performed superbly. The New Layout has no switches/turnouts to give these Pre-War engines grief



Here you see the paper template for the new hill in the lower right





The board has been scraped off and...


...the Styrofoam hill glued down


Lastest but not leastest :-)
I pulled out my New Marx Army Train set for this year's Memorial Day run



















No comments:

Post a Comment