Pages

Friday, March 2, 2018

China - MF-030 Universe Rocket

Here's a toy that's been around collector circuits for some time now. From what little I think I know, it was made in the '70s in Communist China. I've been after one of these suckers for quite some time now so after finding one in good condition with original box for a half-way decent price I snatched it up. Being a variation of the classic 'pointy tube with wings' spaceship design, there's enough differences to make it stand out from others. First of all it has a cockpit. Most pointy tube spaceships forego any cockpit design and so one can believe this was intended as an Earth-to-orbit type vehicle taking off from a runway. There are two canards (those tiny wings just behind the cockpit), two main fins aft, and four smaller fins further aft. There is no shortage of fins on this :-) but the overall effect is nice. It could have ended up looking clumsy but the restraint in size of the fins I think helps balance it out. There is a large front wheel and larger rear wheel friction motor. The wings are detachable and are placed on 'stubs' jutting out from the fuselage and that long nose needle retracts for storing into a shorter box. The needle does not latch in place though and care must be taken when placing the toy in the box. It measures 12" (30.48cm) L x 5 5/8" (14.28cm) W x 2 1/4" (5.71cm) H. Enjoy! Opa Fritz and Oma Bettina

Here's the scan of the boxtop....


...and here's a cleaned -up version. I love space art and box top art and like to see it without staples, rips, tears, and other annoying distractions. I hope I did this okay.






a little home-grown space art






Here's lookin' at you kid! :-)




The needle nose retracts but there is no latch to keep it from springing back















As a bonus, it will stand upright on the four rear-most fins - for take-off from a low-gravity environment I suspect :-)


2 comments:

  1. Wow! It looks superb Ed! You take the best photos! Without its wings it really does recall the chinese made tin Moonship. A gorgeous toy Ed and thanks for sharing it in such fab detail. I love the painting too> Is that yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Woodsy :-) It really is a cool toy isn't it, the photos don't do it justice? Yes the painting is mine. I'll have to blog it - or maybe I did already - gotta check :-)

      Delete