Pages

Monday, February 5, 2024

It's A Small World After All: Kellogg's Fire Dept. (K.F.D.) - Fire House From Engine House Project - Pt 3 The Mock-Up

Remember folks, this is a re-posting of a project which first appeared here on the blog back in 2015. Here's something I normally don't do on those very rare occasions when I actually do build something: making a mock-up. Don't know why I thought this was necessary but I did it anyway. Enjoy! Opa Fritz

The originals

-After scanning the original artwork, I cropped the various elements and saved them as separate .jpeg files. I ended up with separate .jpeg's for each wall, the bay door, the various human entry way doors, a window (all the windows were the same so I created one .jpeg for a whole window, and one .jpeg for a trimmed-down smaller window)
-Then I inserted the .jpeg's into a Word doc which allowed me to adjust the size of things like the doors
-The bay door of the engine house was too large to use as is. It was saved as a separate .jpeg file inserted into the Word doc and reduced in size.

-I printed low-res B&W copies. 
-Here you can see a wall which I had cut out in order to get a comparison between  the fire engine and wall
-The small doors laying loosely on top are copies of the engine house bay door reduced in size

-All four walls and the roof glued together
-You'll notice the bay doors each have a window on them. I cropped out one of the wall windows, then overlaid it over the door
-An HVAC unit and a tower representing the hose drying tower was placed atop the roof

The complete mock-up. The small sign above the double doors reads "Engine Co. No. 7"

I designed three different side walls. Two have varying window arrangements and one is solid brick, with graphics used from a sheet of brick paper that was laying around The Cave. The different brick pattern is not unlike real fire house constructs where-in one type of brick is used on walls facing the street, while cheaper, less attractive brick is used for walls which either butt up against a neighboring building or face into an alley.
-By overlaying window and door graphics on the plain brick wall you end up with a more detailed structure.






No comments:

Post a Comment