Pages

Monday, August 10, 2020

Ed's Travelogue: The Mitchell Park Domes, Milwaukee, Wisconsin (1st pics with my new Minolta XD-11 SLR) July 1978

Today's post represents both a first and a last for me. Having gotten fed up with the quality of the photos from that Polaroid SX-70, I broke down and bought a Minolta XD-11 SLR. It was my first 'real' camera and was a bit daunting to me but I pushed ahead in the hopes that some good photos would come of it (I was right LOL). It was the first SLR to ever offer aperture priority and shutter priority all in one. I had been reading photo magazines prior to buying it so was at least aware of some of the terminolgy and those mags are what drove my decision to pick this particular camera.

The camera originally came with a standard 55mm lens which I soon replaced with this 35-80mm telephoto lens which remained my go-to lens.


The 'last' reference in the post refers to the last time I saw the featured Domes prior to leaving for the Air Force. They reside in Mitchell Park, just to the south of the 27th St. Viaduct in Milwaukee. I lived just to the north of that viaduct so it was a short drive. The Domes are officially called The Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservatory and were built in 1959. I only took a couple of pictures and apparently the sunken garden which appears in one of the photos is a hold over from a much earlier conservatory which resided on the spot. A good history of The Domes can be found on this website: 

The Origins Of Milwaukee’s Mitchell Park Domes


Enjoy! Opa Fritz








No comments:

Post a Comment