Pages

Friday, August 13, 2021

TootsieToy Pony Boy Cap Guns - Starting a New Collection??

Six-shooters, repeaters, cap guns, whatever you want to call them, they were damned popular back in the day and I certainly had my share of them! In my last post I shared how, after years of collecting Western toys, I finally broke down and bought a holster with pistol. The pistol wasa a 'Pony Boy' made by TootsieToy and with only a little research I found out these are very common - thus cheap! But it was a two-gun holster and only one gun was included. With the toy sitting out in The Cave I decided to go on-line and buy another one. I figured "Easy, I'll just buy another Pony Boy" and after a couple of weeks the latest addition to the collection came in and...

...it had the wrong color grips! The one I originally ordered had black grips, the newer one had white grips! arrrrgh

Anywho, I bought another white-gripped pistol (the black grip ones not being available when I searched) and it turns out there was yet another difference. It seems these were made with and without sights in the front. So now I had three different variations: black grip, white grip, with sight, without sight. So even for a cheap pistol there was a nice variety. Well, to make a long story short, I ended up with five pistols. These were costing about $6 - $15 a piece depending on condition, so I wasn't breaking the bank. To put that in perspective; Hubley's, Nichols, Marx, and Mattel's can go for $60-$70 EACH! Enjoy! Opa Fritz

Black grip with sight




White grips without and with sights


I'm not sure if that bottom version is another variation. Up close it doesn't appear to have been nickel plated but treated in some other fashion






The holster is now complete


3 comments:

  1. I have the pony boy pistol that you are looking for in the original package, package is pretty beat up but the toy is in perfect condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of months ago I wouldn't jumped at the offer. However, I retired last month and have to watch every penny before the retirement payments start to come in!

      Delete
    2. OOPS - meant to type 'would've' jumped at the offer - world's worst typist strikes again!

      Delete