Pages

Sunday, September 3, 2023

Back To Hogwarts: Hedwig Mug (Confession - I'm a Potter Head!)

It's September and "Return To Hogwarts" month, and yes folks, I am a Potter Head! Back in 2000 I was stationed in Korea and saw a captain from our unit walking down the hall with a Harry Potter book in his hand. I asked him if it was any good and he said it was great. Now, by this time in my life, books were a thing of the past. Yup, sorry to say I just got bored with reading. I must have read a million books in my life but by then it had gotten burdensome. I mean for decades, I would read "The Lord of The Rings" every year! It was an annual pilgrimage for me but by 2000, even that had stopped...

...then came Harry Potter. I went to the Stars and Stripes bookstore on base and bought the first book "Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone" and with that I was hooked. Then I went back to buy "Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets". I had to wait a few months before the third book came out, "Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban" but it was worth the wait. Waiting for the succeeding books to be released was kind of like slow torture LOL By that time I was back in The States and had to travel a bit farther to find a bookstore to buy the books but it was worth it. 

And then the movies came out and good Lord, there was just no going back - life would never be the same. As I type, the movies are playing on the SyFy channel and yes, I am trying to enjoy them as much as possible but here in the Berg Looney Bin, there is near constant noise and interruption so I watch what I can.

Even though I collect a lot of stuff, I haven't thought about actually collecting Harry Potter items and  the few Harry Potter items I have were presents, except of course for the books which I bought myself. A few Christmases ago I got this Hedwig mug from my youngest daughter which originally included a few packages of cocoa powder to mix with milk. Today the grand daughter uses it to store pencils! If you're a Potter Head then you already know who Hedwig is. If you're not, then I'll just say he's an owl and leave it up to you to find out! :-) It measures 5" (12.7cm) H x 4" (10.16cm) W at its widest point. Enjoy! Opa Fritz









No comments:

Post a Comment