Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2016

Pyro Army Coal Barge

Okay, I admit I really don't like this toy that much and I can already hear what you're sayin', "Then why did you buy it!?" Well you see, I'm one of those who, when they've started a collection, likes to complete it so years ago I started into Pyro Army vehicles to help round out the Little Green Army Men, so I latched on to this. The trouble with that whole line of thought in regards to collecting is sometimes I don't follow through. I stopped buying the Pyro stuff after getting only a couple of items because they started getting stupid expensive (I have to find the others - they're buried in The Cave somewhere). 

Anywho, back to the barge. This is just a strange toy. Think about it. Can you imagine some TV commercial announcer admonishing kids to "...forget your fleets of sleek Ocean Liners, and your Battleship Groups, and get your very own COAL BARGE - New from Pyro!" - oh joy.  Yeah, this elicits about as much excitement as dirty rubber pancake. On a practical note - in a toy-wise way - it can only fit a few soldiers in the hold so it's not much good as a troop transport. Vehicles don't really fit on it too good either. Pyro made these in other colors as well for 'civilian' use but really, the only people I can see benefiting from this toy are the model railroaders. With a good coat of grime and weathering and a little extra detailing, it would actually look good floating down a river and hauling coal on a model railroad. The thing measures 7 1/8" (18.09cm) L x 2 5/8" (6.66cm) W x 2 3/8" (6.03cm) H. I s'pose one could use it to haul supplies up and down the waterways but for my money - and toy fun - I'll stick to Jeeps, and trucks, and tanks, and....

Enjoy! Opa Fritz and Oma Bettina





















4 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me! Best toy ever...since I last said that! Is it missing a crane? I have the ferry in 'army' green, how many where there in a whole fleet, you can invade Leopoldville with this stuff! put a long-tom in the hold and you've got off-shore fire-support while the ferry delivers the four desperately needed staff-cars!!!!

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahahaha okay Hugh, you can have mine I still don't like it! Besides, there's plenty of other really cool boats/ships out there in toyland to mess with (I may even get around to posting a couple)

      Delete
  2. Done! For the Deadstone stuff...I'll try to get it off to you in two weeks! And...it can be towed buy the car ferry...back in the pond for the pair of them!!!

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy Cow! I forgot all about the Deadstone stuff! Man, I'm sorry Hugh! I'll e-mail you later as I get some free time.

      P.S. I saw an OD HP tugboat on eBay but it was part of a lot which was going for waaaay too much $$$.

      Delete