Pages

Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Ed's Travelogue: Jan 1979 Snow, Snow, and More Snow - Can't Escape It! Pt 1

When one reports for basic training you're with a group of people from the same locale. You all get on a plane and fly to your destination where you are picked up by an Air Force bus and brought to Lackland. None of this getting in your private vehicle, toolin' down to Lackland, and waving to the gate guard with a cheery, "Hi! I'm here for basic training, where do I go now?" What that means is, if you had a car prior to enlisting and you still want it, you'll need to go back home and get it - unless you sucker someone into driving it to your new base for you! Yeah, well that didn't happen with me. Soooo, in January 1979 I took a few days leave - it was all I had accrued being new to the military - and flew back to Milwaukee...

...and got there the day after a snowstorm dumped 15" on the city! Crap!

I only had about one day's time to visit with family before having to leave and drive from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to Victorville, California, a distance of about ummm let's say ca1200 miles. And guess what? The day before I was to leave, another 15" of snow dumped on the city!! 30" within two days - DAMN! These photos show what the neighborhood looked like with all of the neighbor's out there shoveling! My recollection is that, after a couple of hours shoveling snow, I left the house in the early afternoon on my way back to Victorville. 

Victorville

Desert

No snow

YAY!!!

What came next was another mini-adventure! 'Til next time - Enjoy! Opa Fritz


The alley behind the house


The neighbor's yard






My back yard



No comments:

Post a Comment