Pages

Wednesday, November 18, 2020

TRAIN TIME: Trying to identify a vintage cardboard train bridge and trestle set

Taking a break from other subjects I'm searching for info.

I got this really cool, sturdy cardboard bridge and trestle set back in May or June but finally had a place to assemble it and the time to mess with it. It came without instructions and was a bear to figure out but I think I got it assembled correctly. To me, the bridge resembles the George Washington Bridge in New York City. It's 32 1/2" (82.55cm) long and 13" (33.02cm) high overall with 10 increments of trestle bents (one bent is missing as is some of the lateralsupport pieces. I'm assuming it was made for O-gauge but could just as well have been made for S-gauge as the track ties do not align with the cut-outs in the deck of the bridge.

Now the question is: Who made it? There are no maker's marks and I didn't see it in any of my catalogs.I'm fairly certain it is not a Warren Paper Products (aka Built-Rite product) or Jaymar, and while American Flyer did make a couple of sturdy cardboard trestle sets I don't believe it to be Flyer either. It could be a wartime production item as toys from that era were often cardboard, paper, and wood. It could also have been made by some mom and pop business.

There are ten different sizes of trestle bents:

1 1/2", 1 7/8", 2 1/4", 2 5/8", 3", 3 3/8", 3 3/4", 4 1/8", 4 1/2", 4 7/8", 5 1/4" (bridge deck level)

Enjoy! Opa Fritz













No comments:

Post a Comment