Pages

Sunday, November 15, 2020

ROAR! Dinosaur's Are Coming to Toys and Stuff

Welll, if I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times - I'm slow! Yup. Don't ask me why I haven't posted more dino's on the blog, but except for when I did the Playmates series of toys for Peter Jackson's "King Kong" back in 2011-2012, and some of The Flintstones cartoony type of toys, there's only been two other posts for dino's here on the blog. That's a bit odd seeing as how dino's were some of my favorite toys back in the day. We'll start with a pic taken for an earlier post, one I did on a Toy Street years ago. Enjoy! Opa Fritz

Here's one of my favorite photos showing a group of Toy Street Dimetrodon's.

To clarify things a little, not everything I'll be posting is will be dinosaur's. Many of this genre of toys were sold in sets and header bags labeled 'Dinosaurs" but included creatures like Woolly Mammoths, Sabre Tooth Cats, and Cavemen! Assuredly not dino's but definitely Pre-historic. And some were dinosaur looking creatures but are not actually classified as such.

Case in point: Dimetrodon's (meaning 'two measures of tooth') are not dinosaurs. They came from the pre-dinosaur Paleozoic era (ca541mil-252mil years ago) and are classified as Synapsids. They lived during the Early Permian (Cisuralian) period of the Paleozoic era (298.9-272.9mil). 


Among the things I''m learning about the dino's and the dino toys is that the critters made by the toy companies span a very diverse range of years. Many of the creatures tossed into those bags and boxes would not be contemporary with each other and would have lived during different era's and ages. 

And, just for the fun of it, I s'pose a few more cartoonish dino's will find their way onto the blog again as I did when posting The Flinstones stuff




No comments:

Post a Comment