Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2021

TRAIN TIME: New Passenger Shelter/Flagstop Station on the Edge of Town Layout

My new shelter/ station is now complete. But first, hre's a recap of the most recent project on the Edge of Town layout. Enjoy! Opa Fritz

The EoT is a small layout and requires a small passenger station and to that end, the Plasticville Freight Station kit was used (why they chose to call this a 'Freight' station is a mystery because it simply looks more like a passenger shelter than anything else, but that's okay you can use it for whatever you want). The only modification I made was to replace the ubiquitous 'Plasticville' sign with my own 'Deer Crest Lake' sign.

But then I got to thinking that for this tiny enclave,even the P-Ville platform was too big. The one I had on the EoT was vintage '50s with the original box so I was NOT going to chop that up for my project. Instead I found a junker on eBay: the glue was all dried out and someone had given it a light spray of flat black all over


Let the chopping begin!


The now shortened platform had some Evergreen Styrene siding glued to the base as well as custom cut edging glued all around meant to mimic a heavy framework. That was given texture by drawing a zip saw blade over the surface and scoring it in a rough pattern - perfect for a weatherbeaten structure. The shelter started life a Plasticville 2-stall outhouse/privy. I cut the center wall out, sanded it smooth and glued it to the base.


I then brush painted the interior of the shelter white and used my india ink/Isopropyl alcohol mixture to make it look dingy.


Next came some signs and posters. My collection of signs and posters dates from as far back as the '70s when I was still into HO scale trains




It now has a rough, dirty look to it appropriate for the area it serves.


'Deer Crest Lake' is now only 'Deer Crest' because that's what this enclave is actually called. The sign was printed out on regular copy/printer paper and surrounded by scale 2x2's 'painted' with a black Sharpie pen. So much of the fresh marker ink had rubbed off on my fingers that what was left gave the frame a nice weathered look!

This gal has been sitting there for the past couple of weeks now - she should have heeded the sign behind her!


The completed scene - always subject to change of course. 


 I believe that the term 'passenger shelter', while appropriate for the larger structure that preceeded this, is no longer fitting. As this will double as both station and milk platform, it falls more in line with a 'flagstop station' designation and that's how I'll be referring to it from now on - that is, if I remember! LOL



2 comments:

  1. Ha quedado genial, me encanta el resultado !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias! This was a fun little project well suited for a tiny train layout!

      Delete