Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2021

Marx Prehistoric Dinosaur Playset #4208

Well, it's time to more-or-less put this project to bed. After covering all the Marx prehistoric sculpts that I'm aware of, it's time to at least show one of their playsets. Dinosaur collecting for me came it fits and spurts, having bought odds-&-ends years ago and then letting the whole thing rest until recently. Besides this Prehistoric Dinosaur playset, all I ever acquired was a Flitstones set, a New Marx Flintsones set (Ruby Edition), and a couple of Empire of North Carolina sets. And now proces have gotten so ridiculously high, it doesn't appear as if the set collection will grow any.

On to the set. I had bought two of these at one time and both were incomplete. After selling one off many years ago I finally decided to make a complete set after starting this series on dinosaurs. To that end I've been buying dinosaurs and trees, and ferns to 'flesh-out' the set. So here it is. The set is from 1978 - not long before Marx finally went out of business. This set also intoduced the "butterscotch" tan Cavemen, and the three-piece terrain group from previous playsets was changed to gray with a "rippled pond" water decal. The set has garishly bright dinosaurs. My set is missing the booklet which now commands premium prices. It is also misisng the little clips that hold the three-piece terrain group together. Whether or not my particular sample is an accurate representation of the original set due to all those extra pieces I had to buy, is a question best left for the experts. Overall it's a nice set, and being common, is still fairly easy to latch on to at a reasonable price.

I'll be posting any updates to the Marx prehistoric line as they come along, as well as some diorama shots from time to time. Enjoy! Opa Fritz






To be honest I prefer the mint green, light gray colors of the earlier releases. The later brown is also a nice color - especially for the Woolly Mammoth or Smilodon. Those are the ones I had as a kid and they look less nightmarishly bright!

As several of these are fillers I bought to make a complete set, some of the colors - like the green Brontosaurus and Pteranodon are incorrect for this particular set.



Earlier pond decals were a featureless solid blue



No comments:

Post a Comment