Pages

Saturday, August 29, 2026

Day-Fran Space Glider (Taiwan, 1970s) - Project S.W.O.R.D. Look-a-Like

While much of the attention last year was concentrated on preparing the Forces of Valor 1/32 scale military figures for blogging, I didn't neglect the space toys. As fatter-of-mact, much of last year was devoted to posting space or sci-fi figures and scenes - albeit the smaller sized stuff -  and starting the Moonscape diorama board recently posted here. 

Earlier this year I decided to try and flesh out my Project S.W.O.R.D.-related toys and to that end I ended up with this Space Glider by Day-Fran. While the packaging spells it out as 'Day-f-Ran' I believe the accepted convention is to call it 'Day-Fran' and it was made in Taiwan. While not branded as 'Project S.W.O.R.D.', it is a direct copy of 21st Century's Project S.W.O.R.D. branded Space Glider. And hey, the thing is complete, and it works, and it was about half the price of SWORD toys! I believe this was made about mid-1970s but there are no dates on the packaging to verify that. It measures 12" (30,48cm) L x 5" (12,70cm) W x 3.5" (8,89cm) H and operates on 2 'D'-cell batteries. It has bump-&-go action, lights that blink, and a really annoying screeching sound intended to mimic jet engine noise.

For more information I recommend you head on over to the Moon Base Central blog, as Woodsy, Scoop, and Wotan have covered the SWORD toys in exquisite detail.

Ed





















No comments:

Post a Comment