Back in 2016 I went through a round of posts centered on Marx Army vehicles, many of which were the smaller ones often found as flat car loads. Among them was this 1950 Studebaker Army staff car.
Fast forward to last year (or was it the year before??) and I picked up a modern remake of that same auto. At some point during the 80s(?) a reproduction of the Marx classic Studebaker was produced but it was in fact an all new design with all new tooling. The story I seem to recall was that the individual who designed it wanted there to be enough of a difference so that the repo wouldn't be confused with the original. Well, he got that right, because the repo is an awkward looking, odd facsimile of the original. That said, apparently the tooling for the original Studebaker is lost while the tooling for the repo remains, so we collectors still have something to fall back on.
The car I'm highlighting here today is a custom job bought off fleaBay (unfortunately I don't know who the seller was). Unlike the original which depicted a staff car, this one is more along the lines of a Military Police squad car and sports a siren on the right front fender and a spotlight on the roof. Even though the car looks nothing like the original, I still like it and have several of its civilian counterparts in the collection.
Ed
No comments:
Post a Comment