Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2023

Ideal No. SP-10 (I-788) Pickup Truck - Red HP (1947-50) Redux

Looking through the computer, I'm finding more and more and more photos of vehicles that were just never posted. Some were general vehicles like this pick-up truck, while others were fire-&-emergency, and likely there's more in the 'Space' folder. I know I haven't posted any of the Marx construction vehicles or any of the K-line. Hope y'all like cars and trucks!

According to Bill Hanlon's excellent book PLASTIC TOYS Dimestore Dreams of the '40s & '50s, this truck was made from 1947-49 and then again in 1950 as part of Road Building Set No. RB-200. Way back in Sep 2014 I posted this as "Ideal Futuristic Pick-up Truck - Red HP" with the truck photographed against a blue backdrop and no item numbers listed:


Later, in 2017, another version of this truck was posted here on the blog as "Item No. I-788" which is the number molded underneath the chassis, but looking in Hanlon's book, it appears as "Item No. SP-10". We'll just use them both. The truck measures 4 1/4" (10.79cm) L x 1 1/4" (3.17cm) W x 1 1/2" (3.81cm) H. Enjoy! Opa Fritz

Here's a page from the 1951 Sears Christmas Wishbook. In the upper left is a fleet of Ideal vehicles which includes today's truck, while in the upper right, a set of Marx vehicles is offered. Not sure who made the over-&-under track but the stoplight is also Marx (I used to have one in my collection)


With the newer information regarding this truck and a better set of photos, I believe it's due for a re-posting.

















No comments:

Post a Comment