Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2023

My "Used to Have" Jungle Toys with Corgi Daktari Land Rover 109 W.B. (1967) Photo Essay

A bunch of years ago I got a bug up my backside and decided to get into the jungle thing and started buying and photographing jungle related toys. Fortunately, I had the good sense to stop. Why? Well, after a little soul searching I decided I just wasn't really that interested in the theme. So here's a look at all the jungle toys I used to have. Part of what drove this short but intense interest was Bettina! She got into this 'Daktari' kick and I fell right into it! LOL The television show Daktari which she enjoyed as a kid in Germany and I enjoyed as an older kid here in the States. Here's a quote from Wikipedia about the show itself:

"Daktari (Swahili for "doctor") is an American family drama series that aired on CBS between 1966 and 1969. The series is an Ivan Tors Films Production in association with MGM Television starring Marshall Thompson as Dr. Marsh Tracy, a veterinarian at the fictional Wameru Study Center for Animal Behavior in East Africa.

Concept[edit]

The show follows the work of Dr. Tracy, his daughter Paula (Cheryl Miller), and his staff, who frequently protect animals from poachers and local officials. Tracy's pets, a cross-eyed lion named Clarence and a chimpanzee named Judy, were also popular characters.[1]

Daktari was based upon the 1965 film Clarence, the Cross-Eyed Lion, which also stars Thompson as Dr. Tracy and Miller as his daughter."

Another influence was Tarzan and as kids, both her and I enjoyed Tarzan. I enjoyed the Johnny Weissmuller movies while her favorite was the Ron Ely TV series of the '60s. All of this jungle-themed interest kind of egged me on a bit towards acquiring stuff. But fortunately, what you see here in this post was pretty much the extent of my collecting.

Here's my Marx Jungle Jim tin-litho cabin. (posted back in 2011)


Header bag of  60mm Africanos from Mexico


        Corgi Daktari Bedford Giraffe Transporter (this is the only photo I have of it)

Corgi 1967 Daktari Land Rover 109 W.B
Apparently I had two of these. One slightly battered without box and a second with the box. It looks as if the boxed truck was never removed for a photo essay though :-(

My unopened box contains a figure of Judy the Chimp and Clarence


The loose Land Rover came with several figures but missing Judy and Paula.


















No comments:

Post a Comment