Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Ohio Art Roy Rogers Horseshoe Set

Well, I started pulling junk, oops, I mean highly desirable collectibles, out of another bin the other day. This was the bin with some of my miscellaneous Western toys and in it was this incomplete Roy Rogers horseshoe set that I believe was made by Ohio Art. My set includes two red and two black horseshoes made of rubber and a red wooden peg with black rubber base. A complete set would have another peg and base. The horseshoes measure 5 1/4" (13.33cm) L x 4 5/8" (11.74cm) W and the base and peg is 5 1/4" (13.33cm) diameter x 4" (10.16cm) H.

Of all the Cowboy and Western stars of the '50s and '60s, Roy Rogers was my favorite and growing up I certainly must have bugged my mom and dad for his toys thus ending up with a matching bedspread and curtain set for the bedroom, a large Hartland Roy Rogers and Trigger figurine set and a bunch of other toys. However, this horseshoe set is one of the toys I didn't have as a kid. Roy himself grew up dirt poor and when he started making it big in Hollywood he licensed a ton of products to promote his brand - and of course make a lot of money in the process - and no kid could ever have owned all the toys, gadgets, and what-nots with his name on it. Funny, after all these years I still get a pang of nostalgia after seeing things like this - hope you do too! Enjoy! Opa Fritz and Oma Bettina






2 comments:

  1. Strangely, Giant (Rosenthal) made a plastic copy of this set! Courtesy of Hong Kong!

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. There's another, earlier versdion with tin litho base vs. the plastic base.

      Delete