Pages

Monday, September 5, 2016

Japan - Yonezawa Lockheed F-94C Starfire

Well, I managed to carve out some time today to take pics. For the first time in probably a year, I was able to set up my gear outside and take shots of some large toys in the collection. Up 'til now I've been using the Amazon.com MyStudio set-up in The Cave, which is great but isn't made for large items.

First up is this cool tin-litho Lockheed F-94C Starfire from Yonezawa of Japan. A first generation jet fighter, the F-94 Starfire was an offshoot of the T-33 Shooting Star trainer and became operational in 1950. The first Air Force jet to carry an afterburner it was also the USAF's first all-weather jet fighter. After seeing service in the Korean War it was eventually replaced by the F-86 Sabre and F-89 Scorpion. Yonezawa's version is a nicely done, though stylized version of the real plane. The biggest differences are the engine viewing panels in the fuselage and the addition of a rear wheel making sure this toy won't be dragging it's butt on any toy runway! I like that it even has the "FA-" designation on the nose of the plane same as on the real planes. The friction motor has a sparkling mechanism, but the little nub that rubs up against the flint wheel is worn down. The friction motor works fine. To me it appears as if the paint is slightly faded on my sample as the color of toys from this era would normally be more vibrant. However, I may be wrong. The plane measures 12 1/2" (31.75cm) L x 12 3/4" (32.38cm) wingspan x 4 3/4" (12.06cm) H. Enjoy! Opa Fritz and Oma Bettina

Courtesy of Wikipedia

Courtesy of Wikipedia























5 comments:

  1. I have this plane but there are a number of slight differences from yours. Mine is marked FA-982 and not 983. I have never seen a 982 shown anywhere I've looked. Also, body is a medium metallic blue and not silver. Also, nose has two open holes, one on each side (likely had at one time a plastic cover) similar to the red sheets used at the engine. Tail number also 0982. What do I have here? The metal parts are virtually rust free. Mechanisms works. Basically in great condition. Is this an early variant? Proto? Any suggestions on where to look further for more info? Bob W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, that's a new one on me. I don't see a 982 in the couple of reference books I have. Perhaps (total speculation here), Yonezawa made it for a different customer or market than the 983?? There's so much in the toy world as a whole that remains a mystery because no one ever kept track of these things. remember, when I was growing up these were referred to as "cheap Japanese toys". My how times have changed!

      Delete
  2. Ed... if you wish to share an email address I'd be more than happy to forward pictures for your reference and perhaps aid in finding out more about this item. Look forward to your response.

    Bob W

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ed.... if you wish to share an email address I would be happy to send you some pictures for your reference and perhaps aid in finding out more about this item.

    regards.............. Bob W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, anyone can e-mail at ed_ice_berg@yahoo.com regarding toys (haters and spammers keep out) HOWEVER, the caveat is that I have so much on my plate that replies might be a tad slow. Do you have a blog as well?

      Delete