Pages

Monday, December 25, 2017

Japan - T.N. Tin-litho Grumman F-111A

Developed in the '60's as a multi-role aircraft the F-111 was developed as a joint effort between General Dynamics and Grumman with the first test flight taking place in 1964. A pioneer of variable-sweep wings, it is this feature which is the most prominent on the real aircraft and toy as well. The F-111 entered production in 1967 and all variants ceased production in 1998.

T.N. of Japan's toy version has become a classic and much sought-after collectible. With it's variable-sweeping wings, jet engine noise, lights, and forward moving action it hits all the right buttons for a '60s era toy. I don't have any reference material which shows when these were made but I'm making an educated guess that it was made in the late '60's just as the real aircraft. Toy manufacturers were always on the heels of the aircraft manufacturers, coming out with the latest in aircraft designs almost as quickly as the real airplanes were hitting the tarmac. The toy measures 15 1/2" (39.37cm) L x 8 1/2" (21.59cm) wingspan (wings retracted) 13 1/2" (34.29cm) wingspan (wings deployed) x 4 3/4" (12.06) H. It takes two 'D' cell batteries with the On/Off switch being located underneath the fuselage. The vertical stabilzer detaches from the fuselage for easier storage in the box (also making the box required smaller), and the pitot tube at the nose of the fuselage also retracts into the nose (ALSO making for a shorter box)

It's taken me three separate tries before finally latching on to one of these that WORKS. I bought the first one knowing it didn't work but got it at a decent price. For a display model it was fine. The second worked for a little while before giving up the ghost. This one was a full-on operating toy and it's a beauty. I took a video of the main operating features but just didn't have a good enough space to place it on the floor and let it go through its paces. In any case I hope you - Enjoy! Opa Fritz and Oma Bettina


Courtesy Wikipedia















































4 comments:

  1. Excellent snaps and video Ed! I often used to see this tin jet at car boot sales. Wish I'd have got one now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Woodsy! It is one of the better Hunk's O' Tin in the collection. It's a bonus that it not only looks good but bworks as well!

      Delete
    2. The ones I've seen at boot sales will have been Red China versions Ed and not this nice TN toy. I tended not to buy Red China toys for some reason. I do have a big New Year high five for you Hugh! Thanks for all your support for Moonbase this year especially Space Tract! Toys and Stuff is an inspiration for many bloggers like me. All the very best for 2018 to you and your loved ones....and thanks for the lovely Christmas card to you and Oma Fritz! Cheers, Woodsy

      Delete
    3. Thanx Woodsy! I only shy away from Red China toys because they're expensive. I do have a couple of toys made there back in the day but they cost just enough to make me wallet shy. I'm of the opinion that a toy-is-a-toy regardless of where its made and sometimes we can find really cool toys from the other side of the old Iron Curtain (or Great Wall - whatever). There is a spaceship called 'Universe Express' from China (made I believe sometime during the '70s) which I'd love to get - when and if I ever get the moola to buy one because they're pricey. It's a real nice 'pointy tube with wings' variant. Anywho, Have a Happy New Year and don't Party Too Hardy :-) I really look forward to this year's Moonbase offerings - sure to please no doubt!

      Delete