Pages

Friday, February 22, 2019

MPC Orbital Missile and Gantry Tower - SP Blue Gantry

Let's get spacey with MPC. I've got some more straight-up military stuff from MPC to post but really, I'm itching to get to my space toys and I have a bunch from MPC. Then I'll follow up with other brands. In the middle of all this I have a special Train Time project to start posting and odds-&-ends of other toys. 

On that note, let's get started. Many people simply call this the rocket gantry or missile gantry or rocket tower or whatever, but the MPC instruction sheets I have call it an "Orbital Missile Gantry and Tower". So, okay, that's what I'll call it in my posts. The assembly consists of a tower with a spring-loaded missile. The missile has small tabs on the bottom that, when the missile is pushed down over the spring, lock into notches in the gantry base. Twist the missile and it flies quite nicely into the air. It has more of a robust launch action than the rubber-band powered missiles/rockets on some of MPC's other units. Over the years I've gotten a couple of different missile designs with these towers, one tall and one short. The missile shown here is the short version and it fits and works just fine but may in fact be Marx. My sample is missing the spring, which is a very common occurrence in these things. In future posts I hope to have a complete unit to photograph. The gantry measures 6 1/8" (15.55cm) H x 2 1/2" (6.35cm) W x 2 3/4" (6.98cm) D. The 'short' missile shown here is 6 3/8" (16.19cm) H. Like many of MPC's toys, these came in multiple color combinations. The one shown here has an all blue tower assembly, but I have towers with red bases and blue tops.We'll be bringing you a couple of variations over the next few posts. Enjoy! Opa Fritz and Oma Bettina












No comments:

Post a Comment