Pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2024

TRAIN TIME: Funko #52888 Bob's Big Boy

Well hell, it's been over a year since I posted anything related to my 3-rail O-gauge train layout! To be sure there hasn't been a whole lot of progress with the layout itself although I have done a couple of special set-ups with my Hershey's chocolate and M&M's trains and buildings. 

This Funko "Bob's Big Boy" restaurant was purchased and photographed back in 2022 when I happened to see it featured in an Amazon ad. The "Big Boy" franchise is found all over the country, but something suitable for train layouts is scarce so when I saw this I thought it would be a nice addition to my downtown scene. There was just one small issue: this was a Bob's Big Boy, but as the franchise is called something different depending on which part of the country it's located, it wasn't an exact match for the Marc's Big Boy I knew growing up in Milwaukee. There was a Big Boy restaurant just a few blocks from my house in Milwaukee as well as one just two blocks from where I worked in downtown Milwaukee (photo below of the one on 5th & Wisconsin Ave). Quite frankly, I've only eaten at a Big Boy's maybe three times in my life even though they were so close either to my house or work. Why? Probably the price - they were more expensive than Micky D's so my dad would take us there instead.  Also, it was simply a matter of habit. My family just never developed the habit of going there and that carried through my entire life.

The Funko version is a selectively compressed version of the Harvey's Broiler in Downey, CA and has wonderful mid-century modern styling. The building also comes with a separate stylized Big Boy statue sporting Funko's signature big head. The building itself does not have transparent windows so is not lighted. I list the item number as #52888 as shown on the bar code but there's also a #DRM210121 listed on the box. The building 's base measures 5.5" (13.97cm) W x 4.5" (11.43cm) D and it is 6.125" (15.55cm) H overall. 

Earlier this year I replaced the Big Boy with a White Castle which was definitely present in Milwaukee. Enjoy! Opa Fritz

The Marc's Big Boy on 5th & Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee ,WI - just two blocks from where I worked.

Downey, CA
































An O-scale figure has been placed for size comparison


Here you see it next to the large office building. I never did take photos of it in the clear on my layout

No comments:

Post a Comment