Pages

Thursday, June 27, 2024

Rapaport Bros. Cast Metal Buck Rogers Figure: Killer Kane 70mm

Yet another series of photos taken years ago that have languished on my computer hard drive. 

I made a half-hearted attempt to collect these some years back and simply lost interest in them. Why? They're flats and I'm not a big fan of flats. As a background, Rapaport Bros. made their Junior Caster casting set as early as 1934 taking advantage of the latest in sci-fi entertainment: Buck Rogers. Buck was big back then and he went from comic strip to the big screen - in the form serials - in no time. This was a time when parents weren't afraid to let their children learn how to actually do things! The kids were expected to melt pot metal or lead and then pour the molten metal into molds to form all kinds of toys. The Buck Rogers line had at least the nineteen separate toys you see here as seen from the Angelo Pedron collection. Back then, this stuff was the cat's meow! I am not aware if Rapaport sold the figures already cast but I believe not. That brings us to at least one minor concern: how do you know if a casting was made back in the day, or if someone owns one of these Junior Caster sets and is selling modern castings. Patina would be one way to tell if the casting was vintage, but it's not full-proof. Of course, if a modern day seller was honest and up front about it, they would say whether the castings were newly made.

For me that wasn't a problem. For me it was the fact that these were flats, and as I said before, I'm not a fan of flats. I ended up with four figures and one spaceship and quit! Sooo, what the heck, I'll post what I have and then move on to the next subject. Enjoy! Opa Fritz

Rapaport Bros. 1934 Ad for Junior Caster Lead Toys Mold

Popular Science Dec 1935


Buck Rogers figures beautifully painted by Angelo Pedron!







My one-&-only spaceship blogged in 2016



Killer Kane - the bad guy in the Buck Rogers story line
I believe all of my figures are vintage castings - at least going back to the '50s.












All four of my figures setup with the Wyandotte spaceship from the 1930s

3 comments:

  1. Well, those are flat all right. Never heard of this. I remember all the hullabaloo over our beloved 25mm lead D&D figures being a health hazard. Imagine it would be even worse if you smelted them yourself. And now I'm even less worried about the Creepy Crawlers set with its very hot Thingmaker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Flats' were quite common back in the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries. Plastic flats were available through comic book ads for many years and there is a company in Russia making them now! I like the concept of DIY toymaking but I can't help but think a lot of kids got hurt melting down and pouring molten metal into molds. I also can't help but wonder how many fires were started at home!

      Delete
    2. No doubt they were inwented in Russia... ;-)

      Delete