Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2021

Multiple Toymakers Fire and Police Emergency Playset No. 49-59899 (1977)

While waiting for parts/pieces to come in for my Marx Prehistoric playset, I've been out in The Cave attempting to play catch-up taking photos of toys I've had around here forever. One of the first I pulled was this rare and unusual playset by Multiple Toymakers, the Fire and Emergency Playset N0. 49-59899 from 1977. My sample was unassembled when received but missing some minor parts. The set is in a plain white box (now yellowed with age) with simple line-art graphics and consists of:

-Large cardboard 'burning' building

-6 Fire Emergency Vehicles

-10 Firemen

-3 Police/Rescue Vehicles

-4 Policemen

-6 Emergency Road Markers (missing in my set)

-Firemen Accessories

The burning building measures 12" (30.48cm) H x 5 1/4" (13.33cm) W x 3 1/8" 7.93cm) D and I used it some years back as part of a 'neighborhood on fire' scenario on my old train layout. It's dimensions are perfect for O-gauge 3-rail train layouts.

I said previously that this set was unusual? Why? The odd disparity in sizes they chose for the set contents. The vehicles are all basically the same size at ca6 1/4" (15.87cm) - 6 1/2" (16.51cm) long. That means, the cars are just as big as the fire trucks! Then there's the figures. Most of them are 45mm but Multiple decided to throw in two 60mm ringhand figures with two sprues of fireman accessories! The policemen are in aggressive 'shoot-out' poses, the kind you would most likely expect to see in a 'cops-&-robbers' playset, not a burning building set. One person in the fb groups suggested Multiple may have based this off the old 'Emergency' TV show that was popular in the '70s and that could very well be. The tie-in could be implied without actually having to pay royalties. I haven't gotten around to shooting photo essays for all the individual pieces - and I may not this time with everything else going on, but be assured that if I do they'll get posted here. 'Til then - Enjoy! Opa Fritz







The unassembled set


The assembled set



The 'driver' doesn't actually sit behind the wheel, rather his feet slip into this hole in the floorboard



There are small clips on the fire engines to accept firmen allowing them to stand on the truck without falling.
A couple of comparison shots with Auburn vehicles. 
The fire trucks match up quite nicely, but...


...look at the size of the Police car - it's a monster!


Here's the building in my 'Bad Day in Marxville' series of posts I did back in 31 May - 6 Jun 2018










2 comments:

  1. That is one cool Marx set Ed! Looks fantastic and such a great looking toy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great set for sure Woodsy! I have another - smaller - set with some similar items in as well, but need to take pics!

      Delete