Pages

Saturday, May 23, 2020

Marx Moon Grabber

When I covered the Marx Apollo Lunar Landing Miniature Playset back on 9 May 20 (I also covered it back in 2014 - but did it again to start off this latest round of space posts) I made mention of not knowing what the vehicle was. It was no surprise then, when I found out it was the downsized version of the Marx Moon Grabber! Apparently Marx made several different variations of the vehicle under the umbrella term of "Moon Grabber" This one looks like a grabber with those two mecahnical arms sticking out from either side.

I purchased my Grabber in a job lot which also included the Hover Space Explorer 1 covered in yesterday's post. Mine was overall in good condition cosmetically. Nice and clean with intact arms. There is supposed to be a separate one-piece plastic 'searchlight' which attaches to the upper hull in front (see the slot in the photos). My sample doesn't work. I took it apart and all the wires are attached and the solder unbroken. However, the switch is in a sealed compartment (the cover is glued in place) and I couldn't access it, so I'm guessing that's the culprit - either that or the cheap little motor is fried. That's all okay because when I'm photographing these toys it's better if they're not moving. The Grabber measures 7 1/2" (19.05cm) L x 4" (10.16cm) W x 4" (10.16cm) H. 

Up until now I had resisted buying somewhat large-ish space vehicles but really, I have all the 54mm/60mm Spacemen and Astronauts so why not pair them up with like-sized vehicles? This would work well with 54mm figures as well as the MPC Ringhand guys. In scale this is a tad larger than the Hover Space Explorer 1 but they still look well together. Enjoy! Opa Fritz



Marx Moon Grabber (L) and Hover Space Explorer 1 (R)





Here's a Marx 54mm Astronaut next to the Grabber










The slot on top of the cockpit accomodates the one-piece plastic searchlight








Culled from the Internet: pic of an original box



4 comments:

  1. Never seen that before Ed; that's lovely that is!

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Hugh! Yeah, it's really a nice vehicle. After shying away from the larger toys for so long I'm now beginning to learn a bit about them. One thing I learned? I like 'em! :-)

      Delete
  2. The rubber treads are missing from the wheels also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missing tires are a common problem, but overall I just like it when they work.

      Delete