Progress on the "Pfalz bei Kaub" diorama has been slow going - mostly because I've been too pooped after work to mess with it! However, that being said, I did manage to get something done this week. I found a piece of MDF (medium density fiberboard) shelving laying about - I should have tossed it out a long time ago, now I'm glad I didn't - and it was pretty much right for what I wanted to accomplish.
This castle actually sits in the middle of a river on a rock. Some photos on the Web show the river exposing the rock and some show the rock nearly covered. I figured there were two basic ways to approach this diorama:1. Make a small base with just a hint of the rock showing and suggesting the water lapping up to the castle sides.
2. Model the exposed rock - along with the trees which had been planted on one end. This of course would require a larger diorama base.
The shelf piece I had found measures 11.25" (28.6cm) W x 28" (71.1cm) L and after looking at it, it appeared to be nicely suited for the larger diorama showing the exposed rock. Had it been shorter I probably would have cut it down even more and just gone with option 1.
I printed photos of the castle culled from the Web and used those to draw a rough outline of the rock on brown craft paper. It won't be exact, but I think it'll look OK when finished.
The pattern drawn on the paper was cut out and used as a template to cut pieces of .5" (1.3cm) thick Styrofoam. The Styrofoam was then glued to the shelf piece.
Hopefully we'll be able to get a little terraforming accomplished by next week. Until then - Enjoy!