Pages

Thursday, June 22, 2023

Model Power #8968-1 1/48 Scale Diecast Mack CF Snorkel Truck

Here's the second of three Model Power 1/48 scale diecast fire trucks I received of late. What I like about these is that none of them are lettered for a specific city so they'll fit in with any layout - that is if you're modeling the era these trucks represent. In this case, I believe this to be a circa 1975 Mack CF Snorkel truck. I noticed that the real life trucks had the snorkel mounted facing towards the rear. The toy has the snorkel mounted forward. Also, the real trucks don't have a smaller roof mounted snorkel as on the toy. On the last Model Power truck I featured I failed to highlight the outriggers on the rear of the truck which swing down - another feature that I haven't noticed on the real trucks. Overall, these Model Power trucks are a decent enough representation of the real thing and they're loaded with operating features. Enjoy! Opa Fritz






On either side of the truck are removable ladders molded in gray. I have yet to actually remove these and photograph them - perhaps for the next truck I post.








The roof mounted snorkel rotates but does not elevate




Notice the forward facing snorkel at the end of the boom. All the real life trucks have the snorkels facing rearward.

These trucks have outriggers which swing downward from the truck body. I didn't notice anything like these in the photos I've seen of the rear trucks. All three of the Model Power trucks use the same chassis so it's a feature repeated for all of them regardless of the prototype's actual design

With a 14" reach, this truck should be able to handle most emergencies on any O-gauge train layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment