Pages

Sunday, October 1, 2023

PIRATES: MPC Original Large Pirate Ship - Yellow HP

In a previous post I highlighted a job lot which contained this large MPC pirate ship and all the pieces shown in the photo. After posting to the facebook groups I'm confident that the set is nearly complete. 

-It's only missing the two red soft plastic (SP) oars for the rowboat

-The short yellow gangplank, although the correct piece for the set, should be red as it would have been molded on the same sprue as the rowboat.

-In addition I have three lanterns instead of the usual two - only two lanterns were on the sprue along with the rowboat and oars.

-The wooden dowel masts are correct for this set. MPC started making one-piece plastic masts later in the ships' production.

-The longer 'gangplank' (my guess is that it's a component piece from a bridge) pictured at the bottom is most likely from another playset but is useful for this set.

Enjoy! Opa Fritz



















2 comments:

  1. Nice! Until just this moment I'd forgotten that I built a plastic model kit of a sailing ship back in the day. It was a kind of burnt-orange / tan plastic, and I remember trying to make the lines with string. Oh, and now I remember having another one, made of bright red-orange plastic! I think it might've been a bit smaller scale. And maybe one in dark brown plastic? Good memories. I love sailing ships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a kid I had things like MPC PT Boats and I assembled the Monogram (?) PT-109. As a teenager I did assemble a U.S.S. Constitution with the rigging but that was pretty much it. The rigging killed me and that was my last attempt LOL

      Delete