Pages

Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Cleaning House: 8 Marx Playset Howitzers Plus Short Barreled Howitzer Photo Essay

Soooo, I was goin' through my boxes of junk - ummm I mean highly desirable collectibles -  and came upon the Marx stuff. I pulled out a howitzer from their 54mm playsets. Then another...

...and another

...and another

...and another

...and another

...and so on 'til I found 8 of the suckers! I ended up with four long barrel and four short barrel howitzers. I guess I had plans for them back in the day but yeah, whatever it is I wanted to do obviously didn't pan out.

I ended up trading one of the short barreled to a fb friend but before I sent it off I took my usual gang of pics. Enjoy! Opa Fritz and Oma Bettina

This howitzer measures 5 1/4" (13.33cm) L x 2 3/4" (6.98cm) W x 2 3/4" (6.98cm) H and has a spring firing mechanism. I have no shells for any of the pieces.













3 comments:

  1. The short barrel 105mm howitzer was used in WWII by US Army paratroopers. It was essentially a lightened version of the regular howitzer. Great toy, never saw it before.
    Mike Bunkermeister Creek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, do you have a copy of "The Big Toy Box at Sears", the compilation of Sears wishbook catalogs from about 1950-1975ish? If so this should be pictured in some of the late '60s Marx playsets that are featured. It is a really cool piece.

      Delete