Pages

Friday, July 31, 2020

Ed's Travelogue & TRAIN TIME: British Columbia No. 2860 4-6-4 Royal HudsonApril 1978

1978 was a big year for me. It was a year of travel, sight-seeing in general, and the year I joined the Air Force. It was also the year I bought my first SLR camera - a Minolta XD-11 - and finally stopped using that Polaroid SX-70. However we still have some travels and some cool events to cover that were recorded with the Polaroid and I'm thankful to at least have had some kind of camera to take pictures with. 

We begin this year with the visit of of the Royal Hudson steam train No. 2860 to the Milwaukee area. I'm not quite sure where it landed: Milwaukee, West Allis, Waukesha??? but it wasn't too far away and I was able to snap these photos of this gorgeous train. Originally built for the Canadian Pacific Railroad in 1940, the engine was sold to the British Columbia government in 1973. British Columbia had it had it restored and began steam excursions in 1974. Today it is still owned by the BC government but is on loan to the West Coast Railway Association. Enjoy! Opa Fritz

Culled from one of the local newspaper's at the time









The SX-70 was unable to take panorama shots so I had prints made of the above three photos and literally cut, spliced, and taped them together to put in the photo album.













No comments:

Post a Comment