Pages

Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Ed's Travelogue: Shawano Lake, Wisconsin 1978

I have a picture from 1948 showing my dad with a string of fish he caught on Shawano (pronounced: SHAW-no) Lake, Wisconsin. He must have liked the lake and countryside a lot, enough so that during the '60s he bought a trailer in Washington Resort there. The resort was quite large and had a mix of permanent type houses and trailers. Those, like my dad, who had trailers would buy the trailer from the previous owner and pay rental fees to the resort for the plot of land it sat on. You could always get an empty lot and buy a new trailer but dad opted for a nice used version, a 10x45 pink and white affair. The trailer we had was nice but every year in the fall dad had to turn off the water and drain the water lines - which were exposed underneath the trailer. If we wanted to go up there during the winter, we still had heat and elctricity but would need to get fresh water from the resort for cooking. If nature called there was an outhouse about 30' away! What a thrill that was on a cold northern Wisconsin day!! hahahahaha Enjoy! Opa Fritz


Our trailer on Shawano. I think that is the one-and-only fish I ever caught! Like ever! LOL


The resort's 'HQ' - lounge, bar, resort office, etc


By mid-to-late 1978 I was still using my Polaroid SX-70 and slowly taking more and more shots using my new SLR

Here's a homemade panorama. I took two copy prints from my SX-70 and spliced them to get this view


Shawano Lake was pretty big, ca 14mi long x 7mi wide

Tracks in the countryside near the lake







Sunset over Shawano Lake










 

No comments:

Post a Comment