Pages

Thursday, March 2, 2023

Cheap Toys

I'm gonna switch gears again for a second. 

I don't know about you guys but cheap bagged/boxed/blister card sets of toys were a lifesaver for my mother when growing up. They were pocket money purchases that would shut junior up while shopping and junior (aka that be me) would have a blast once we got home! Today, a lot of those now vintage sets command premium prices.

I was going through my photos and came across a bunch of cheap sets bought from a variety of stores like Wal-Mart, Dollar General, the BX and Commissary here at Nellis AFB. Some of these I still have, some got sold off, and I know there's a bunch out in The Cave still waiting to be photographed. Some of these photos are new to the blog while others have already been posted. I guess the point here is these modern era toys carry on a tradition of cheap playthings that goes back a long ways and today's as good a day as any to celebrate that! Enjoy! Opa Fritz

'Soldier Bear' is an Army and Air Force Exchange (BX & PX) brand name and their sets are very similar to ones I had noticed at Wal-Mart (but never bought). One of my biggest collecting regrets is selling these three sets off years ago. The Exchange no longer carries cool sets like these and, if they become available on-line, command a hefty price tag! The actual pieces in these sets tend to be recycled among other brand names, other packaging, etc., so the loss isn't really that great.

Soldier Bear Fire and Emergency Deluxe Play Set

Soldier Bear Police Action Playset 1

Soldier Bear Police Action Playset 2


Ja-Ru is a well known company to collector's and these were bought at the Commissary here at Nellis. I do believe there's still a set of these out in The Cave.
Ja-Ru Sets
Ja-Ru Firefighter Set

Ja-Ru Police Set

Ja-Ru Military Set

Now I'm trying to remember - do I still have these? Good grief, time to mount an expedition out to The Cave
Wal-Mart 55pc Military Playset

Wal-Mart 55pc Police Playset

I wanna say these were from Dollar General or maybe even Saver's
Imperial Legends Western Play Set No.45014C

Texaco gas station find
PW Intl #29131 Interchange Robot Set

No comments:

Post a Comment