Pages

Thursday, March 30, 2023

Dimestore Dreams - Pt 17 No. 20300 Motorcycle and Rider

Because I'm posting these in item number sequence, the next up is a wonderful motorcycle with rider.

The size of Dimestore Dreams motorcycles differs greatly from their cars and trucks. In fact my guess is they were purposely designed to harken back to the Auburn soft plastic motorcycles of the '50s and are nearly identical in size as you can see by the photos. While Auburn's vintage cycles were essentially one piece cycle and frame with separate tires, the Dimestore Dreams version offered a hard styrene plastic cycle and tires with a separate rider in soft plastic. I like this because the drivers came in several colors and one could mix and match at will. For all intents and purposes he looks like a policeman but can be anything - for example a dispatch driver for a telegraph company (back in the day when those were a thing). The cycle stands up on its own by utilizing the frame itself as a type of stand. The Auburn version had small tabs which were used to hold their bikes up, but unfortunately that soft plastic tended to bend out of place allowing the cycle to fall down.

Enjoy! Opa Fritz







Insert
front


back


(L) Dimestore Dreams (R) Auburn


My sample came with a blue driver














2 comments:

  1. I think the rider harks back to Thomas Toys, Ed, but I don't know about the bike, I don't have an original! Commonwealth also did a big one I think?

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Hugh! I'm not too familiar with Thomas Toys stuff. After looking through my photos, it appears I only have five trucks and one space man of theirs. The bike itself was probably an all new design based on vintage toys - as were the cars and trucks in this series. After all, Bill Hanlon was a toy designer so he had the talent to design just about anything he wanted.

      Delete