Pages

Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Ed's Travelogue: USAF Basic Training Sep 1978 - Pt 1 "Leaving On A Jet Plane, Don't Know When I'll Be Back Again"

Well, what a year 1978 had been - saw things, done stuff and the hits just kept on comin'! September 1st rolled around and it was time to say 'goodbye' to kith and kin. Working at the steel mill was at times fun and I worked with a great bunch of guys, but Milwaukee was just entirely unfullfilling - it offered nothing for me and by God it was time to just get up and leave!! I don't remember a whole lot about that day other than all of us new recruits had to report to the recruitng station in downtown Milwaukee where they gave us one last check-up and checked our bags to make sure we had what we were supposed to have, as well as NOT have anything prohibited. There were 15 of us going and we got on a bus headed to the airport in Milwaukee for our two-leg trip to San Antonio. We first flew to O'Hare Airport in Chicago and from there to San Antonio, Texas. This had been my first flight on an airliner and it was a blast - I liked it! LOL  

There were so many things going on during those six weeks of basic and I had accumulated so many postcards, brochures, photos, etc that this will definitely be a multi-part series!

Enjoy! Opa Fritz




I luv this scan! Look at that camera - boy if I didn't have a couple a few Kodak Instamatic cameras back in the day LOL

















No comments:

Post a Comment