Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2022

CIRCUS TIME: Schlitz Bandwagon and Dick Sparrow's 40-horse Hitch

I've got so much circus related material I didn't know where to start or what to do next. I did mention that I had been to the Circus World Museum in Baraboo, Wisconsin as a lad. Then as wee bit older lad, having attended circuses as part of grade school field trips.  At about the same time, dad would would take us to the lake front to view the wagons being displayed before they were paraded down the streets of Milwaukee for The Great Circus Parade. And that brings us to today's post.

Schlitz Brewing Company had been the sponsor of The Great Circus Parade for some years when they approached Dick Sparrow of Zearing, Iowa to head up a 40-horse hitch to pull what would be a brand spanking new, specially built circus band wagon. I'll let you guys read the postcard below (a part of my collection). To make a long story short, I was at the parade when the whole rig was introduced to the country, live on TV! There were an estimated 1 million spectator's at the parade (in a city of about only 750k at the time) watching as this magnificent display wound it's way through some narrow confines in downtown Milwaukee. WOW - absolutely OUTSTANDING!! - needless to say I loved it!  Unfortunately I didn't bring a camera with me  :-(  However, many years later - 1991 to be exact - I got the chance to revisit the Circus World Museum and photograph the wagon on display. Enjoy! Opa Fritz

Part of my collection of post cards



My second trip to the Circus World Museum was in 1991 - a time when film camera's  and Polaroid type were still the only way to take photos. I must've taken about two hundred photos that day and, for the most part, I only took one photo of each wagon on display there. Here is the Schlitz Band Wagon in all its glory


Found this Schlitz bottle/can opener out in The Cave. The photos make it look gold-ish - it's actually nickel plated silvery in color




No comments:

Post a Comment