Pages

Monday, September 19, 2022

CIRCUS TIME: Mattel Circus Playset No. 0506 (1973) - Pt 2 Set No. 1 Clown Act

As stated in the introductory post to the Mattel Circus Playset, there were a total of eleven 'acts', ten of which were included with the initial purchase of the set. Here's the first one of them, the 'Clown Act'. I have to say this was actually a disappointing start to my unbagging and testing of these. Why? Wellll, first of all, one of the clowns simply would not stay upright. The soft plastic casting had a rounded bottom that didn't allow it to stand up without me gluing a base to it. Secondly, the other clown figures included are supposed to be able to be stacked and balanced one atop the other. Nope - didn't happen. No matter how hard I tried, no matter what position I tried putting them in, they would not stack or balance. If this is what they were like when brand new so many years ago, I can imagine the disappointment to any kid who got these.  Fortunately the remaining three of four clowns did at least stand up on their own so all was not lost. Enjoy! Opa Fritz


As I go through each of these sets, I'll post photos of the unopened bags followed by scans. The scans just make it a bit easier to read what's on the bags.




Each bag contained one of these small, mini-catalog type cards




Several bags had these dry transfer type decorations. These were meant to be applied to the figures. However, here we are nearly fifty years later and none of them were of any use

These were a bear to photograph because of the cream colored plastic, but black seems to work well as a background.
That clown to the left would not stand on its own without me first gluing a small clear plastic base to it.
Also, I have dispensed with my usual 12-position photo essay for each character for this series. Just too much darn work and I've got other things to do!! :-)

The figures equate to 40mm


Here's the tent set up on my train layout with the Clown Act front and center. I've been playing with trains and circus toys for several months now and there' will be some follow-up posts to show you all what I've been up to.

It may not look like it but there's over 60 figures standing in front of the tent, with over twenty more elsewhere. I could've used a good fifty more!

No comments:

Post a Comment