Pages

Saturday, April 15, 2023

TRAIN TIME: Putting Together Another Fire Scene On My Train Layout - Pt 2

The saga continues. So with this latest train layout, it was apparent from the get-go that I would make a fire scene a permanent part of the toy train landscape, just not as big and fancy as the set-up I did a few years back. The city scape was to be made up of mostly tall buildings and the tallest "on-fire" building I had was the cardboard apartment from Multiple Toymakers Fire and Police Emergency Playset #49-59899. While the vehicles and figures from the set are over-large the building was just what the doctor ordered! It has some height and has a small footprint making it easier to fit in with the other buildings. 

When I designed my old Marxville and Plateau layout, everything was drawn out and planned on paper. Yes, there were changes along the way but by-and-large it was built as planned. This layout on the other hand is has pretty much been designed on the fly. I wanted a big city feel but had little idea what buildings were available, how big they were, and whether they would fit in the allotted space. As such it has been a challenge to find what I need or what I like and so I tell people this layout is evolutionary, not revolutionary. The very last photo was taken a couple of days ago - it will change again! Enjoy! Opa Fritz








Nowww, just where to put the thing?

Nov 2021: Here's the earliest placement on the layout - barely visible behind the K-Line building


Aug 2022: As building placement is still a WIP, the burning building is more of a focal point


Sep 2022: Here we see the building take on more importance. In this set-up it's closer to the center of the layout and is facing the viewer head-on. I used the vehicles and figures that came with the playset - just for the fun of it

Nov 2022: After tearing the layout apart and decorating for Halloween, the planning process starts all over again afterwards

Nov 2022 - a couple of weeks later: Yeah, it changed again. 

Feb 2023: ...and back again! After all of these moves, I'm favoring this spot. No matter where the rest of the building's end up, this might be the final location

Apr 2023: The other buildings have moved but the burning building stays put

4 comments:

  1. That's an awesome cityscape, mate, and no mistake!

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Hugh! Still a lot to do but it is kinda fun playing Godzilla and rearranging the downtown area :-)

      Delete
  2. Hmmmm . . . I don't think Godzilla takes that much care!

    ReplyDelete