Pages

Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Egg Nog For The Holidays

 Do you all enjoy egg nog for the holidays?

For many years when I was growing up, pre-mixed egg nog was simply not available, we had to make it ourselves. As a kid, had a Tupperware egg nog mixing cup that I used to make my own nog. It was a cup with lid with a kind of star-shaped attachment that fit on the inside meant to break up and mix the white & yolk and I actually had that thing up until a few years ago when I gave it to the thrift store.

My recipe was basically: 
-1 egg
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-2-3 Tablespoons sugar (I like s-w-e-e-t), 
-whole milk filled to just under where the star shaped attachment would sit. 

Shake the bejeezus out of it, poor into glass, sprinkle top with nutmeg. 
Yummm

(images culled from fleaBay)



Now of course with our food supply having become so bastardized I would never consume raw eggs (as I no longer eat 'cannibal' sandwiches) so I go with the pre-mixed stuff. Fortunately, our local dairy here in Las Vegas (Anderson) makes an exceptional - and thick - egg nog made with whole milk to which I sometimes add a little bit of Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Nog (or similar)  which is a blend of nog, brandy, rum, and whiskey - you know, just for flavor :-)  Bettina calls it 'ei liqueur' and the German blend tastes different than ours - not better, just different.

Cheers

Opa Fritz

No comments:

Post a Comment