Pages

Thursday, August 3, 2023

Modifying an AMSCO Rockets Away Gameboard (1953) For Use As A Backdrop

Four years ago I posted the game board to AMSCO's "Rockets Away" game. That was the only part of the game I had and it was actually a dartboard. Made of a fibrous material, the object was to take the dart-like rocket shaped game pieces and drop them on the board scoring points based on where they landed. That meant the board was full of tiny holes. After posting the board I left it alone until a few weeks ago when I got a bug up my keester to do something about it. After hours of Photoshopping this is what I came up with. Enjoy! Opa Fritz

Too big to scan, I had to rely on photographs

Edited to brighten it up and bring out the colors. It is chock full of holes!

After a couple of hours in Photoshop, the holes are gone but the edges are rough

The edges have been extended out along with the artwork. I cleaned it up as much as my meager Photoshopping abilities would allow. This is okay, but by my way of thinking, it's far too 'busy' - too many unnecessary nitnoy details to make a really good backdrop

I prefer this.
The 'sun' was far too close and looked menacing and all those funny balloons (asteroids?) floating around in the ether were annoying as well. It was meant to be a gameboard and those elements were there for a purpose, but as a usable backdrop for the kind of stuff I like to do, they were a distraction.
What do you think folks? This has potential now.

No comments:

Post a Comment