Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2018

TRAIN TIME: A Bad Day in Marxville - Pt 1 Johnny's Police Train and An Idea for A Photo Shoot

You know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men right? Well, I had fully planned on clearing off the train table (what I've been calling the 'New Layout' the past 18 months or so) so that I could start photographing some of my playsets.  The layout was populated with cardboard buildings from Built-Rite and others.


It was a nice set-up and I enjoyed it but it always meant to be a temporary set-up anyway, so  a couple of weeks ago I cleared nearly everything off and this is what it looked like. The loop of track was still there as well as the Built-Right city background.


Yup, I was ready for other things, until...

...until I had an on-line chat with a fellow Marx train enthusiast. I told him about a custom Police train made by Johnny Thompson (owner/moderator of the facebook 'Marx_trains' group) and my friend wanted to see pics of it....

...with the table cleared it occurred to me that I had a fairly clean canvas to work with for another display. So I decided to take out buildings that haven't been on the layout before and put together a whole new display with an entirely different, and somewhat unexpected theme. To see what I did, stay tuned for new installments, but first here's a look at the custom Police train Johnny made. This was his first ever custom train made from essentially junkers and I enjoyed running it. It has some nice features on it that make it a toy a kid of any age would love playing with. Enjoy! Opa Fritz and Oma Bettina


A repainted Marx No. 591 Engine

What do you do with a tender that many would throw away because it was in such bad shape?
Re-paint


An overlay was affixed to the top to give the impression of litho


The scratch-&-dent flats we're re-purposed hauling Police gear. Love this Mad Max-ish truck! 



The prisoner transport car with removable light and sound module


An Air Hogs R/C helicopter. Unfortunately the batteries in this no longer held a charge so I couldn't fly it over the City in Chaos as planned


An armored car for the S.W.A.T. Team



Repainted junker caboose


No comments:

Post a Comment