Pages

Saturday, May 25, 2019

TRAIN TIME: A Yank Does Hornby Pt 11 - Planning a Small Clockwork Layout

Welll, it's time to show what I've been up to in regards to all the Hornby postings lately. Even though I can take any clockwork/wind-up train and run it on either of my two 3-rail layouts in The Cave, I wanted to do something else. Actually, the itch to build yet another layout was getting to me again :-)

I went out to the storage shed in the backyard and pulled out a 2' (60.96cm) x 4' (121.92cm) piece of particle board I had scrounged from somewhere and thought it would be make a nice platform for a little wind-up layout. I gave it a quick coat of this light brown paint I've had like forever and started the process of planning.



This was back in March of 2018 and I had just acquired a Hornby MO Goods Set.





One of the cars was missing wheels. Replacement wheels were graciously supplied by Graeme Eldred in Bannister, Scotland!

Graeme BTW operates the Binn's Road website and is an excellent source of info on toy trains - see the sidebar to the right for a link to Graeme's website.




Sooo, I set up the track along with a points (switch/turnout) and fiddled around with it for a few days. On the one hand, I do like drawing out my plans on paper, on the other hand, it's only when you actually see track and accessories sitting on a board IRL that you can get a feel for what a layout is actually going to look like.


I liked the overall look and feel to this small layout but I really wanted to do a little more. One of the reasons I held off on this design was that the crossing would not have fit properly on the straight-a-way and I really wanted to use it. So, plans for this small layout were shelved and I had to come up with something else.  Enjoy! Opa Fritz and Oma Bettina


No comments:

Post a Comment