Pages

Friday, January 17, 2020

TRAIN TIME: The Edge of Town Layout Starts Getting a Makeover - Pt 5 Odds-&-Ends

Rejuvenating a layout - whether a large one or small one - is a series of mini-projects within the larger project. When I first built the layout, it was kind of a rush job so that I could get it up and running for train meets. The lines delineating the roadbed and river and roads were all drawn in and painted by hand - ahem, rather badly I hate to admit - and some areas didn't receive the attention they should have. Case in point: the 'river' just sorta stopped in front of the bridge LOL Okay, so now I at least painted the blue all the way to the rear of the board. Perhaps not too noticeable but I know it's there.

The area to the left of the layout was just one big patch of medium gray paint. I defined the roadway a bit better and painted it in with Woodland Scenics 'Asphalt' paint.

Back in the day, when the layout was new, there were operating crossing gates on the far left. Those were removed over the years. I decided to bring them back and made three insulated tracks used to activate them. The outer insulated rail needed a power hook-up by using spade lugs inserted into the bottom of the rail. A hole was drilled in the plastic roadbed and once installed on the layout isn't even noticeable. More to come. Enjoy! Opa Fritz






2 comments:

  1. So I'm 8 +/- yrs. late to comment on Marx tin-litho 2 story FireStation, but couldn't resist. Yes, my firehouse had a friction long hook&ladder truck with extending ladder, maybe a pumper truck ? and a chief's car, scale dark brown furniture, and typical fire accessories, plus the cream coloured figures.Still have it minus vehicles, and 2 end chimneys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL better late than never! Well, as it turns out I sold it off a couple of years ago! Great Hunk O' Tin but I had enough big tin in The Cave. I don'r really miss it though.

    ReplyDelete