Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

Marx Repo Untouchables Streetfront

Last week I promised a little Untouchables surprise and here it is - this is a handmade reproduction of the Marx Untouchables streetfront!! I got this little gem quite a few years ago and it has been on my train layout, the Marxville and Plateau (MaP) since 2010. It wasn't purchased from the original maker and although I'm not sure who made it I have my suspicions, but without being certain it wouldn't be right to throw around names. Just look at the details. Everything from the original is there, only hand painted. It would have been a trick (for me at least) to bend the metal just right and have the dimensions match up to the original. The repo building measures 20" (50.8cm) L x 4" (10.2cm) D x 5 1/4" (13.3cm) H just like the originaal. The holes punched out for the various plastic accessory parts were pretty accurate. I had some minor problems fitting a couple of the repo plastic parts but a little carving and filing and they all fit well enough. Speaking of which, the streetfront came without any of the plastic pieces and I ended up buying two sets of repo plastic parts, one in gray and one in tan. Also, the roof wasn't soldered on, just glued on and it had to be re-glued when I received it. This is so neat I would classify this as more folk art than toy. What do you think? Although this will be the last Untouchables tin piece scheduled for Marx Monday keep watching for more Untouchables toys here on Toys & Stuff. On that note let's get on with the pics. Enjoy!



This beauty now resides on The MaP









The inside is only roughly painted