Pages

Saturday, September 22, 2012

1992 Wendy's 'Bobby's World' Explorer 7 Rocket Car

I'm nervous. Or rather, I'm sitting here at the 'puter itching to post something else today. Today is the first day of Autumn so, is there a nervous energy in the air that's affecting me?? ahhh yes, but what to post, what to post? Well, I started going through my photos and came across this little gem. Normally Saturday's are reserved for Sci-Fi and Fantasy and I think this is an okay match for that. This little Rocket Car was a Wendy's fast food chain 1992 tie-in offering for the cartoon 'Bobby's World'. Quite frankly 'Bobby's World' was an annoying cartoon about an obnoxious little boy, so naturally it became a hit on American television and ran from 1990-1998. This was one of those shows that, when I was channel-surfing, was whizzed through so fast the remote screamed!!!
BUT!! but, but, but! Fast forward to 2012 and I'm now collecting toys. Some of those toys are space toys and one of the collecting sub-sets of space are the various space cars, futuristic cars, rocket cars (whatever the heck you want to call them) and I come across this on eBay and you know what?, it doesn't look half bad. In a nutshell, this is just a nicely designed, sleek little rocket/space car with some nifty detailing. It has a kind of organic, wavy, Art Nouveau design ethic which isn't far removed from some of the old sci-fi art from the 1930's and '40s that I've seen. Being a fast food premium means of course that the overall construct is simple: body top, chassis, two wheel sets. It measures 4 1/2" (11.4cm) L x 2" (5.1cm) W x 1 1/2" (3.8cm) H and I have seen it offered in an orange body casting as well. There may be other colors but that's not yet confirmed. I really do like this addition to the growing Space Central fleet here at Toys & Stuff. Enjoy!